Become a Volunteer
VIDAS Volunteers are veterinarians, veterinary technicians, students and concerned community members. Become a ViDAS volunteer to gain enriching experience working as a team & improving the lives of pets and pet owners!
Are you a veterinarian, veterinary technician, veterinary student or concerned community members? Join the ViDAS team and work on improving the lives of pets and owners through animal health care.
Spanish speakers are always needed on clinics. Any of our Spanish speaking volunteers who can effectively communicate will be utilized for: communication, translation, discharge instructions, and education efforts in addition to medical duties.
Vet students and Technicians: You will assist with physical exams, pre-medication and induction of anesthesia, surgical preparation, anesthesia monitoring, cleaning instruments and equipment, assisting with recovery, and assisting the doctors as needed.
Veterinary students: You may be provided the opportunity to assist and gain some experience with spay and neuter procedures under the supervision of an attending doctor. This is a possible opportunity for you to gain experience; however, please understand that this is NOT a guarantee.
Veterinarians: You are generally performing spays/neuter surgeries all day long but sometimes will be performing physical examinations, anesthesia induction, or recovery depending on the areas in need during the clinic.
Local and/or out-of-area volunteers who are not veterinary medical professionals are always welcome to volunteer and can assist with patient recovery, discharge, community outreach, and other activities based on their level of knowledge and experience. PLEASE NOTE: Due to space limitations, all volunteers without medical professional experience are allowed to assist, but you are responsible for your own travel arrangements and expenses. We will NOT be able to provide housing, transportation, or food. Other ways to help out include: assisting us throughout the year with public awareness, fundraising, and collecting/preparing supplies for the clinics.
All volunteers will be utilized in areas where their skills will provide the most benefit for the success of the clinic. The clinic days are long and strenuous. Please understand that our goal is efficiency and safety for patients, volunteers, and all participants involved.
- Flight to Cancun
- Accommodations: Generally are donated for our clinics and for our volunteers. This is reliant upon funding and donations; therefore be prepared to take on this expense.
- Food: Generally is donated; however is reliant upon funding and donations; therefore be prepared to take on this expense.
- Transportation is generally provided for our volunteers, but you may be asked to pay for transportation to clinics by rental car or public transportation.
- Immunizations are recommended but not required: Rabies vaccination (you need 3) and/or titers, hepatitis, and a current tetanus vaccination.
- All volunteers will be expected to fundraise for the clinic in which they are participating – raising a minimum of $300 using whatever modality they choose. ViDAS will assist this effort through providing access to an organized crowdfunding platform.
Please click our “Sign Up” button below to fill out our volunteer application form. Since we are all volunteers, it will help us out greatly if you would please do this first. We will contact you and answer any other questions you might have once we receive this form. If you are unable to access the volunteer form for any reason please feel free to contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ViDAS has a new volunteer policy! Due to the high number of applicants and in order to make sure that everyone has an equal chance of volunteering with us, we are asking that you apply for a specific trip. You must reapply with us for every trip that you would like to participate in, as a new waiting list will be started for each trip. If you have applied before, you do not need to fill out the entire application again, just your contact information and how many times you have applied.
Staffing of each clinic occurs approximately 6 months prior to the clinic start date. If you have applied, please look for an invitation email around then! Applications for each trip are accepted up until the actual clinic; however, we generally have all spots filled within 3 months of the trip. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you submit an application to participate at least 4 months in advance.
Are you living in an area where VIDAS holds a clinic? Would you like to volunteer at the clinic, or help in some other way? We are often in need of things that only local people can supply!
- Help with advertising in the weeks before the clinic
- Help with check-in and recovery of animals at the clinic
- Places for our volunteers to stay during the clinic
- Rides to & from the airport
- Drinks, meals and/or snacks for the volunteers during the clinic
- Other items best supplied by local volunteers and helpers!
If you are a local and would like to help, please contact Sherry Stevens at email@example.com for more information about how you can get involved. Thank you!
Make a Donation
Monetary donations are always needed and very appreciated. All donations are tax deductible.
Our Wish List
Our overseas clinics are always in need of supplies! Take a look at our Wish List to see how you can help!
Find out what we are up to. Check out our Events page to see where we will be next and how you can help!